If you are going to shop for cookware materials, it is better to know the different materials that are available before shopping. A kitchen is an important place in the house, the lesser the time spent on cooking, the better it is for the people of the house to be ready for their daily work. It is also important to eat healthily and for this, the utensil should also be safe and should be able to retain the natural nutrients in the food.
Before shopping, learn about different materials with which utensils are made in order to make a smart choice
- Copper: Copper is a good conductor of heat and hence can help in cooking faster. However, it reacts with many natural minerals and acids present in food items adding a color and metallic taste to food. Hence one should use a lining between copper and the inner portions of the utensil.
- Stainless Steel: The most popular utensils are Made using steel. The main reason is it does not scratch while cleaning and also conducts heat quite well. It is also not so expensive as copper.
- Cast Iron: This is a poor conductor of heat and is suitable for the frying pan and grill pans. They are very durable and robust.
- Clay, Ceramic, and Stoneware: These type of utensils are the oldest form of utensils but they are still in use. Utensils intended for Ovens, Casseroles and baking dishes are made of clay. They are dishwasher safe but have to be handled a bit carefully to prevent cracks and leaks.
- Non-Stick: These are more modern day cookware whose main intention is to reduce the oil consumption and to help in cooking without food sticking to the pan. Care has to be taken to prevent scratches on the surface.
Thus before shopping for utensils, determine your type of cooking or for what item you are going to buy the utensil and then choose the best material.